- USAToday Mass Killings Not really data as much as an interactive tool for examining mass killings since 2006. Interesting facts include the following: while 16% of mass killings are ‘public killings’, 13% are from burglaries.
- JUSTFACTS.COM Gun control A good source of impartial analyses, heavily documented
- Slate map of shootings in 2013
- Mother Jones’ Firearm-related deaths of children in 2013 CSV file here
- Wall Street Journal Gun Laws by State Interactive map
- Wall Street Journal Interactive Data
- Reddit GunsAreCool crowd-sourced list of newspaper articles on mass shootings for 2013 and 2014.
- Reddit Defensive Gun Use. A crowd-sourced list of newspaper articles describing defensive gun use
- InfoPlease list of worldwide school shootings Brief descriptions of each incident since 1996. I’d like this list to be empty, but given that it’s populated I wish there were fewer American entries.
- SandyHookProject “A project to demonstrate the relationship between violence and firearm accessibility in the United States. Dedicated to the memory of those who died in the Sandy Hook Elementary School massacre”
- Wonder CDC A great source of mortality data with a easy-to-use web interface. Public use versions of the data may be downloaded here: http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data_access/cmf.htm
- WISQARS Creates fun-looking tables, but it isn’t very flexible. Injury data is available, but this links to the mortality data
- NVSS I haven’t used NVSS yet either. I’m a little vague on the connections among NVSS, WISQARS and Wonder. Part of this is the difficulty in maneuvering through the website.
- FASTAT Accidents and unintentional injuries.
- Epicenter California injury data
- NIBRS is one of the two useful datasets I’ve found at the ICPSR.
- NACJD Lots of data but a clunky interface. Download the data and get out of there.
- http://www.bjs.gov/index.cfm?ty=dcdetail&iid=245 The API tool for NCVS is here: http://www.bjs.gov/developer/ncvs/index.cfm The data is here: http://www.icpsr.umich.edu/icpsrweb/NACJD/series/95
- Uniform Crime Reporting Interactive Tool